Welcome to Leicester School Building Project website
A new building is an investment in the future of the children of Leicester
The Schematic Design 100% submission has been approved by the School Building Committee and was officially delivered to the MSBA on February 13, 2020!
Next is the anticipated MSBA Board Approval for the Project Scope and Budget on April 15, 2020. This is a key milestone leading up to the local vote which is scheduled as follows:
Special Town Meeting: Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 10:00AM, at the Leicester High School
The sole purpose of the Town Meeting is to vote on the future of the Leicester School project.
For more information on the history of this important project, please click on document links below.
Also, please read commonly asked Q & A below.
“Recognized by the Community as its greatest asset, the Leicester Schools engage every child in rigorous student-centered learning in a safe and technology rich environment.”
FRQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When will the new school open?
There are some very important upcoming milestones, which are critical for the project to stay on track and continue to develop:
May 9, at 10:00AM – Local VOTE – MOVE FORWARD with Leicester School
June 9, (time TBD) – Local VOTE – TOWN FUNDING APPROVAL
An approved vote in June 2020 will allow the project momentum to continue to next steps towards a NEW SCHOOL OPENING IN SEPTEMBER 2023!
|April 2020||MSBA Board Meeting to Approve Project Scope and Budget|
|June 2020||Local VOTE to Approve Project Funding|
|Spring 2020||Continue with Final Design|
|Spring 2021||Construction Begins|
|September 2023||New School Opens!|
If we don’t build now, what will happen?
- If Town funding is not approved in June 2019, Leicester will lose this opportunity for State funding, which is currently close to 60% of the total project cost.
- A failed vote in June 2020 will likely result in Leicester Public Schools being required to submit a new Statement of Interest to the MSBA and await a second invitation from the MSBA to re-enter the Feasibility Study phase. Click here to learn about the MSBA Failed Vote Policy.
- The project will be removed from the State pipeline.
- The middle school could be at risk to close due to poor building conditions.
- Project costs will only increase in the future.
How big will the new school be?
The new school is being designed to be three stories, at 150,000SF, with high efficiency building systems and state of the art technology.
What are some features and benefits of the new school?
- Fully ADA compliant
- Accommodations for Special Education programs
- Accommodations for Pre-K and Kindergarten
- Dedicated spaces for art, music, physical education, library and computer instruction
- Separate bus and vehicular traffic
- Maximum use of technology to enhance 21st century learning
- Air conditioned spaces for summer programming
- “Green Building” features will improve overall operational efficiency
- New gym, library, cafetorium and multipurpose room will be available for Community use
- More students can be educated in their home Town, rather than being sent out of district
- A new building is an investment in the future of the children of Leicester
Thoughts? Questions? Comments?
Feel free to reach out to the project team via the “Contact” tab on this website.
We are pleased to inform you that the Leicester School Building Project has hit the ground running! The consultant team has been established, including the Owner’s Project Manager (OPM) NV5 and the Designer, Finegold Alexander Architects – and the Feasibility Study phase is well underway! The Leicester Middle School project team is excited to be engaged with the Leicester School Building Committee (SBC) as well as members of the community as information continues to be gathered, which will ultimately result in determining the preferred option for the Leicester School Building Project.
The project team submitted the PDP (Preliminary Design Program) to the MSBA on April 16! The PDP included concept diagrams which are very early diagrams intended to show options for siting, building size, shape and approach. Please note that at this very early stage in the design process, these drawings do not reflect program layout adjacencies and details. These concept diagrams were presented to the School Building Committee on March 21, 2019.
|Educational Visioning Workshops|
Note: A series of three (3) Educational Visioning Workshops recently took place, at the Leicester Middle School. The workshops were led by the Architect’s educational programming consultant, David Stephen, of NewVista Design. All participants were fully engaged and lots of great information was gathered to help establish Design Priorities and Guiding Principles which will assist the project team in creating a road map to design a new facility! Documents from the workshops (including agendas, notes, presentations and photos) have been posted and can be viewed on this website under the “Presentations” tab.
|Project Schedule And Historical Information|
For those who have been following the project, the Town of Leicester was invited by the MSBA into the Eligibility Period back in February of 2017. Progress Timeline has been created showing the many steps which have transpired including the Eligibility Period, Forming the Project Team and Feasibility Study/Schematic Design (current phase) as well as projected dates through Town Approval and Funding in May 2020.
Information can be found here about the Feasibility Study performed in 2015 as well as supporting documents including a Video and Pictures of the Middle School, Community Presentation and Letters and Documentation.
Note: Please read a letter from the MSBA about the closure of the Leicester Memorial Elementary School. The School Committee is scheduled to vote on January 22, 2019.
Remember to check this website frequently for upcoming meeting information as well as past meeting minutes and presentations and general project updates. For project inquiries, please contact:
David Genereux, Town Administrator, at (508) 892-7077 or email@example.com or
Marilyn Tencza, School Superintendent, at (508) 892-7040 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Leicester School Building project te